The interdependence of economy and ecology is becoming increasingly important when it comes to creating the kind of future we want to live in. Working at the interface of the two disciplines, we have been mastering our craft for almost 40 years now.
Sustainability is an attitude that does not allow any compromises. It goes hand in hand with an awareness of the rare and finite, which is inevitably linked to a responsible approach to nature. For us, quality means: selected raw materials, sustainable and organic cultivation, the preference for wild growth collections, a profound appreciation of plants’ ingenuity, and finally, happy and healthy skin.
- We procure our plant ingredients from where they are native and prefer wild growth collections and free-growing plants, as these have an immense concentration of functional ingredients and thus offer the skin a broad spectrum of effects.
- Our packaging consists mainly of glass, wood, HDPE and already recycled plastic produced with solar energy.
- Our cardboard boxes are primarily printed in Italy on FSC-certified paper.
- We obtain our cardboard packaging from the surrounding area. These are naturally recyclable.
- We strictly reject animal testing. Our products are not available in any country that requires animal testing.
- We don’t use any synthetic fragrances and dyes, paraffins, parabens or silicones for our products.
- Our packaging material consists exclusively of paper – even the glue used to seal the boxes is made of potato starch.
- Our products are loaded with valuable ingredients for healthy and beautiful skin.
- The ICEA seal for cosmetics has the international accreditation of IOAS (International Organic Accreditation Service) and therefore meets the most important European criteria for organic cosmetics.
- Together with partners such as EcoCert, BDIH, Bodenverband and CosmeBio, ICEA has created the COSMOS brand – the first international standard for natural and organic cosmetics.
- Furthermore, ICEA, in collaboration with the LAV (Lega Anti Vivisection), controls those companies that have chosen to use CRUELTY-FREE raw materials (raw materials not tested on animals).
- ICEA is an independent control and certification system with international accreditations that publishes the rules and lists of certified companies and products (including ingredients) and answers the questions asked by consumers.
The products with the ICEA certificate guarantee:
- Formulations consisting of ingredients of natural origin selected according to environmental and health criteria
- Surfactants, functional principles and plant extracts from organic farming certified according to the most important international regulations
- Obligatory tests on the finished product to avoid undesired reactions
- Truthful terms and claims supported by reliable scientific tests or bibliographies
Certified Sustainable Palm Oil
In principle, we try to strictly avoid the use of palm oil in all our formulations. However, sometimes this is not possible, as certain raw materials such as natural emulsifiers or surfactants cannot (yet) be produced without palm oil components. The RSPO certification (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) guarantees the sustainable production of palm oil. We only use raw materials in our products which contain palm oil with RSPO certification and where it can be assured that no rainforest is damaged for its cultivation.
What does true sustainability mean?
The basis of sustainable action must be a reliable vision that does not include sustainability out of marketing policy considerations but as an ethos and out of honest conviction. It means: being aware of the consequences of one’s actions, acting accordingly, and always questioning growth for quality.
Sustainability includes the ability to adapt: to act in a genuinely sustainable manner, we have to continuously optimize processes and procedures, taking into account all influencing factors, such as emissions, respect for biodiversity, fauna, resource consumption, employees, etc. For us as a company, this means constantly questioning and adjusting the consequences of our business decisions, which can also impact other subsystems.
OUR CONTRIBUTION. Since 1986.
As a small company, we try to live this, although we still have a ways to go. Our basic idea is this: The fascinating genius of nature is our guide for understanding lived sustainability. Because nature’s foundation is also based on the law of efficiency and sustainability: Nature always achieves maximum effect with minimum input. It is exceptionally energy-saving, and wastefulness is alien to nature.
Our product formulation concept is based on a clear motive: Promote skin health – for a better quality of life. For us, healthy skin means sustainable and long-lasting beauty. That’s why we work with the most intelligent laboratory in the world: nature. That commodity that thrives again and again.
MORE ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY